Ceylon Pineapple Curry (Ananasi Vanjanaya)
Pineapple fruit is popularly enjoyed in Sri Lanka as fresh fruit. This was one of my loving Mum’s favourite dishes.
1 green pineapple (peeled and diced)
1 onion (chopped)
3 garlic cloves (chopped)
2 green or red chillies (slice)
3 sprigs of curry leaves
1 inch lemongrass (crushed)
I cinnamon piece
3 cardamoms (crushed)
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp roasted curry powder
1 tsp crushed red chilli
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup coconut milk
Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan and temper (saute) garlic, onion, mustard. cinnamon, lemongrass, curry leaves, crushed chilli, green chilli and mix well
- Add the pineapple and mix all together then add water. Cover with a lid and simmer 10 minutes.
- Then add coconut milk and salt.
- Simmer until the oil appears on the top.
- Remove from the heat and add lime juice.
- Serve with a any kind of rice you like.
© Ajith Perera. All rights reserved.