Bitter Gourd Curry (Karavila Vanjanaya)
Bitter gourd is generally very difficult to cook because not just because of its bitterness but also because it is easy to lose all the valuable vitamins. Lots of people use different methods, such as soaking in salt water or adding tomatoes and goraka. This is my own version of this recipe, easy to make and full of nutrition.
300g bitter gourd (seeded and thinly sliced)
1 red onion (sliced) 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
3 green chilli (sliced)
3 sprigs of curry leaves
1 piece of cinnamon stick
½ tsp of mustard seeds
3 tbsp olive oil
½ cup coconut milk
1 tsp roasted curry powder
1 tsp raw curry powder
½ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
salt and pepper
- Heat the oven 180* degrees
- Arrange in a lined baking tray with bitter gourd slices sprinkled with oil and seasoning. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Heat a pan with the remaining oil, sauté the garlic, onion, chilli, and curry leaves
- Add the curry powders and mix together
- Then add coconut milk, simmer on a low flame
- Add your nicely baked healthy bitter gourd, mix everything gently
- Remove from heat and check the seasoning
Serve with rice or crusty bread
© Ajith Perera. All rights reserved.