Aubergine Cashew Curry
300g aubergine (cut into thin strips)
100g cashew nuts (soaked over night in water)
75g red onion (sliced)
5 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
6 red and green chilli (sliced)
4 sprigs of curry leaves
5 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp coconut or white vinegar
1 tbsp mango chutney (not essential)
1 tsp ground mustard seeds
1 tsp roasted curry powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp black pepper powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder or stick
1/2 tsp sugar
Salt to taste
- Heat the oven 180* degrees
- Drain the water from the cashews
- Arrange the aubergine, cashews and sliced onion on a backing tray, mix together with a sprinkle of olive oil, salt and pepper
- Bake for 20 minutes until nice and golden brown.
- Heat the pan with the remaining oil, add garlic, ginger, fresh chilli and curry leaves – saute together
- Then add the dry ingredients, mix well
- Add the vinegar, chutney, sugar and coconut milk
- Bring to a simmer, remove from heat add the aubergine, cashew and onions
- Mix carefully and check the seasoning
This my own creation, a dish quite close to my Ash Plantain and Brinjal Curry – a healthy way of preparing aubergine, not oily or greasy at all.
I hope you all enjoy my new dish for the festive season, and will serve it to your family and friends.
© Ajith Perera. All rights reserved.