Sri Lankan Fried Rice
500g boiled rice
1 red onion (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 lemongrass (chopped)
3 bay leaves
5 cardamom (crushed)
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
Pinch of saffron or turmeric powder
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups boiling water
- Wash the rice and let it drain.
- Heat the oil and sauté all the other ingredients until soft.
- Add the rice and mix well, cook for about 10 minutes making sure it does not burn.
- Add the boiling water, saffron and salt, mix well and cover.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the flame, simmer until cooked (add more boiling water if necessary).
Garnish with fried onion, and serve with chicken curry, ash plantain curry and devilled potato…
NB. This is a basic fried rice recipe – if you want, you can add vegetables, meat or seafood.
© Ajith Perera. All rights reserved.
One of my Favourite lunch dish, Thank you for adding.
Pingback: Mushroom Rice | The Ceylon Chef