Sri Lankan Chicken Vindaloo
1 kg skinless chicken (boneless if you like)
200g tomato (chopped)
150g onion (chopped)
50g garlic (chopped)
50g ginger (chopped)
handful curry leaves
2 inch lemongrass (chopped)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 glass of red wine
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons cumin (ground)
2 teaspoons mustard seeds (ground)
1 teaspoon coriander seeds (ground)
1 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
1 teaspoon cloves and cardamom (ground)
1 inch cinnamon (ground)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon chilli powder (or to taste)
1 teaspoon sugar
- Wash and drain chicken
- Heat a large pan and brown the chicken
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, curry leaves and sauté until golden brown
- Add all the dry ingredients, mix well and cover
- Simmer for 10 minutes
- Then add tomato, wine, water and sugar and mix together
- Cook for about 30 minutes until sauce becomes thick and a nice colour
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice and check the seasoning
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander
You can cook this a day ahead, which gives more flavour and helps all the ingredients absorb into the chicken.
Serve with plan boiled rice or my fried rice dish and dhal curry. Trust me, this is a delicious chicken curry, and everyone seems to love it!
© Ajith Perera. All rights reserved.
Tasty dish likes to eat with Rice & rotty Thanks
mmm this is one of my favorit dish.thanks for the recipe,i will let you know the result.
One of my favourite dishes from the blog! Thanks!