During the holiday season we all eat lots of fattening foods, so I created this version of Christmas pudding to make it low-fat and healthy. It contains no added fat at all! I made our pudding already so hurry up!
450 g dry mixed fruits ( raisins, sultanas, currants, cherry, candied peel)
25g almonds (roughly chopped)
60g self raising flour
100g dark brown sugar
100g bread crumbs
2 eggs (beaten)
5 tablespoons brandy (extra for the soaking at the end)
1 orange (juiced)
2 tablespoon grated lemon
1 teaspoons mix spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Lightly butter a 1.4 litre pudding bowl
- Mix the dried fruits with the brandy and orange juice, cover with a kitchen towel and soak overnight.
- Mix the other ingredients with the beaten eggs, then add the soaked fruits and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the greased pudding bowl.
- Cover with a double layer of greaseproof paper and aluminium foil and tie securely with a string.
- Place a pudding in a steamer set over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Steam the pudding 6 hours (make sure to check the water level during the steaming).
- Remove the pudding from the steamer then remove the papers.
- Prick the pudding with a skewer and pour in extra brandy.
- Cover with fresh greaseproof paper and tie with a string.
- Store in a cool, dry place for at least two weeks before serving.
On Christmas Day re-steam the pudding for about 1 hour. Serve with brandy butter or custard.
© Ajith Perera. All rights reserved.